Pages

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

On Intent

My first blog, my first post.

I've intended to start a blog for a long time, but I always found a way or reason not to do it.  I can be easily derailed; the last stutter before I started this blog was whether I would compose under a pseudonym or my real name.  I believe what I say, and such intend to be open and public about my thoughts; yet, as you can see, I decided not to follow my intent and have gone somewhat incognito.

Before that it was the decision which blog service to use.  I intend to use easiest to access, easiest to use service; instead, I found that Google had a blog engine and just ran with that.  Naturally, that means if you hunt around enough on Google+, you'll find me.

I intend to also make everything easy, which by my nature makes it all difficult at the same time.

I guess I live intentionally; to coin a phrase.  Sometimes I live intentionally to do what I intend; other times I intend to not to what I intended, break the mold and live outside what I would expect of myself.  All that means is that when I get outside the box I'm still walking familiar paths.  I'm still in the box.

Much of my life is spent in the idea of "intent".  The work I do can be described as "setting intent", the concept that I describe the attainment of certain, high level organizational goals, guiding the activities, means, and methods in accomplishing those goals.

I also measure (read: police) our attainment of those goals, but that's a conversation for another time.

The idea of organizational intent, leadership intent, is a powerful one.  Simple statements made in a single breath by someone with positional authority becomes work responsibilities for a team of staff.  Intent sets the stage for everything; it puts the focus on what is important, and de-emphasizes what isn't.  It tells us where we're going, why we're going, what we're going to, and how we're getting there.

Who: those dedicated to setting and achieving that intent.  Are you in?

Intent is powerful.  It provides meaning, purpose, it gives definition to what we do and understanding to why we do it.  And it applies everywhere.  I am an avid bicyclist; I intend to be faster than I am today, stronger than I am today.  That intent drives me, sometimes even consuming me.  I am unwilling to accept my limitations.  I am unwilling to live within the confines of my current abilities.  I intend to break through; get a few more seconds on the rivets before I pop (and then a few more); get a few more watts out of tired legs; stay on the wheel of that competitive racer for just a few more pedal strokes.

Intent is powerful.  It's also dangerous.

All too often, we fail to set or properly describe our intent.  We never know what we're trying to accomplish.  We never know what we need to accomplish it.  We never know how to get help, and others don't know what we're doing to offer to help.  Rudderless and windless.

When we set intent, we still must be intentional about it.  Intent is directive: it can be collaborative, engaging, community; or it can be individual, solitary; but must be a decision, and it must be action.  Intent is worthless when there is no decision to act; nothing accomplished, frustration results.

Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire
Focused high on soaring ambitions
Consumed in a single desire
In the grip of a nameless possession --
A slave to the drive of obsession --
A spirit with a vision is a dream with a mission...
Rush, Mission

Together we'll find out how dangerous intent is, at least with regards to my intent to start a blog.  I intend to make this an interesting read, covering a variety of subjects within my interests.  I'll range from cutting-edge science (less about the field of science, more about significant discoveries) to application of technology, fitness and nutrition, musings on other subjects that might strike my fancy.  Oh, and bicycling; there'll be plenty of opportunity to read about my passion for the bicycle.

I don't intend to cater to everyone's interests, but rest assured if someone suggests a subject I'll have a few words to share about it.

Thanks for taking the time to read my inaugural post, I hope you'll join me as we start this journey.

-- TechieRoadie

No comments:

Post a Comment